Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Rose Painting (Near Van Gogh’s Grave) by Julian Schnabel

I chose Rose Painting (Near Van Gogh's Grave) by Julian Schnabel because I found this to be a powerful piece, especially for his first one after 14 years on hiatus. At first glance I thought it was just a portrait of flowers, but when I zoomed in I saw the broken ceramic plates that were painted to a canvas and then painted on. I found this a very interesting approach to use and I think it came out beautiful. He and this piece struck me as sort of a modern day Claude Monet because of the fact that far away it just looks like a normal painting, but up close you get a whole other perception of it. I also loved that the portrait was sort of a version of an ode to Vincent Van Gogh.

-Megan McCarthy

No comments:

Post a Comment