Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Jean Michel Basquiat


This painting, made with oil colors and acrylics, was named "In Italian" by Jean Michel Basquiat. This piece was of interest to me because of the symbolism being portrayed. At first, I didn't quite understand what I was looking at, but some words that stood out to me were "SANGRE" meaning blood and "CORPUS" meaning body in latin. He also included a quarter in this painting, with "LIBERTY" crossed out. This might be a reference to the American Civil Rights movement that began in 1951. Jean Michel Basquiat's artwork is unique because he creates imagery based on his individual perception of religion, pop culture, and language. What I liked most about his artwork is that it can be appreciated for not only its appearance, but also for its symbolic references.



No comments:

Post a Comment