Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Anicka Yi

In Anicka Yi's exhibition called Life is Cheap, she used bacteria as her media to explore societal problems. Yi states that we live in a world that is obsessed with cleanliness. She states "as an artists its part of my job to render visible the source of our discomfort, and our anxieties, and our intolerance." In this piece of work, she exposed a petri dish to the environment to see what bacteria can grow on the plate, and make the point that we live in a world with multiple organisms other than the humans. I really enjoyed Yi's work because I learned about this in my microbiology class and by looking at this plate, I can identify the microbes that are present on the plate. Overall, I liked how Yi incorporated science into her artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment