Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Alma Siedhoff-Buscher


The subject of this article was obviously interesting to me as it pertains to my own work focusing on the advances of the women's movement. I chose to focus on Alma Siedhoff-Buscher because her work reminded me of the toys that I used to have when I was a kid. I thought it was very interesting that Alma was involved in the male-dominated wood sculpture department. It was already difficult enough for women to be recognized at that time, let alone in a field filled largely with men. I appreciate that her work allowed for creativity to be spread to the user of her toys. Normally, building blocks are the sort of toys left to boys to play with - perhaps to inspire future engineers. I was glad to see toys that were normally "boy toys" created by a woman, and meant for all children to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment