Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Alma Siedhoff-Buscher

What first grabbed my attention was the opening line where the article stated "But the women artists who taught, studied, and made groundbreaking work with them are often remembered in history books as wives of their male counterparts or, worse, not at all." This reminds me of the all too often forgotten pioneers in science, art, and many other arenas where credit was deserved and not given, or was given to their male counterparts.

I chose to focus on Alma Siedhoff-Buscher because of all the pieces highlighted, her's stood out to me as the most creative for the time. I liked her pieces the most because of her willingness to stand out and move away from weaving into a male dominated subfield of wood working. Her pieces, to me, look far ahead of the time period and are worth being appreciated for not only the chance she took, but also for the creativity.

"But her most pioneering work proved to be the interior she designed for a children’s room at “Haus am Horn,” a home designed by Bauhaus members that exemplified the movement’s aesthetic. Siedhoff-Buscher filled it with modular, washable white furniture. She designed each piece to “grow” with the child: a puppet theater could be transformed into bookshelves, a changing table into a desk." This to me, speaks miles of her creativity and her passion to her work. I'm glad to see not only she, but every other woman in the article, are getting the attention and praise they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment