Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Final Blog: Sophie Calle



Sophie Calle's conceptual project is known to "plumb the depths of human relationships, fears, and desires." This specific exhibit, I believe, was successful in that she hit all of those points. It was creative in that each small piece was thought through. For example, putting it in a secretary, a funeral program (that doubles as a press release), and the concept of bury your secrets in the grave is all unique. 

Personally, I do not believe I would have attended this event. It rubs me the wrong way that it is in a graveyard, but at the same time it makes sense. I don't necessarily think it is "disrespectful" to have it there, but at the same time I kind of do. I do think it is kind of poetic in a dark way. It is a therapeutic way to take weight off some peoples shoulders, for others it is for fun. I think that, conceptually, it makes sense to have it in the cemetery.  It provides the proper ambiance. I respect the artistry behind it, it is just not something I would do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment