Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Alas, poor art blog - I knew it well.


I found this article incredibly interesting because it opened up my mind to something that I would not previously have necessarily considered artwork. Performance art is something that I sometimes struggle to reconcile with being artwork in itself, but the article helped to draw the connection more closely. The intensity of the catharsis for both Calle and attendants must be extreme. I was reminded of another piece of performance art - Shia LaBeouf's 2014 "#IAMSORRY" exhibit, where the actor sat silently in a room across from guests who were permitted to bring in provided props with them - including a whip. What happened between artist and guest was similarly confidential. Performance pieces like these allow the possibility to take a look into the reality of the human condition, which can at times be awe-inspiring or even gruesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment